Across the country the health of children and the ecosystems they depend upon for life are in trouble. A lack of knowledge about and access to nutritious food is resulting in under-nutrition, obesity and a host of chronic diseases. Children exposed to food additives, pesticides and chemicals in their environment are suffering from allergies, endocrine disorders, learning difficulties and cancers.
- Education — Our school systems are not meeting the needs of students of color and low income families.
- Health — A vast majority of children aren’t eating the recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables.
- Environment — Our environment is experiencing stress through land development, overuse of pesticides and climate change.
Education comes in many different forms throughout a child’s life and Garden To Table believes that experiential learning is crucial to shaping children’s understanding, values and behavior. By providing children with engaging educational experiences that connect them to food, how it’s grown and why fruits and vegetables are essential to their diet, we aim to address the childhood health issues facing society. Further, by learning ecological knowledge and developing a sense of environmental stewardship, students will have the knowledge and motivation to solve environmental problems in their communities and the world.
- Education — We provide schools with gardens and curriculum that enrich education and teach students about science, nutrition, gardening and the environment. We provide teachers with standards-based lesson plans that allow them to easily implement hands-on learning.
- Health — We support children to understand the importance of fruits and vegetables and the connection between what they eat and the health of their body. We give them opportunities to grow their own food and develop a taste for a greater variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Environment — We create and maintain organic gardens on school grounds where students can connect with nature, care for the earth, and develop the knowledge, skills and values that will lead to a more environmentally sustainable life.