Across the country the health of children and the ecosystems they depend upon for life are in trouble. A lack of knowledge about and access to nutritious food is resulting in under-nutrition, obesity and a host of chronic diseases. Children exposed to food additives, pesticides and chemicals in their environment are suffering from allergies, endocrine disorders, learning difficulties and cancers.
- Education — 98% of the $2 billion in food and beverage advertisements viewed by children are for products that are high in fat, sugar or sodium.
- Eating — 31% of BVSD middle school student are trying to lose weight. 26% of US children suffer from some form of chronic disease or health problem.
- Environment — 1.2 billion pounds of pesticides are used each year that contribute to neurocognitive disorders, chronic disease, and the destruction of ecosystems.
Education comes in many different forms throughout a child’s life and Garden To Table believes that experiential learning is crucial to shaping children’s understanding, values and behavior. By providing children with engaging educational experiences that connect them to food, how it’s grown and why fruits and vegetables are essential to their diet, we aim to address the childhood health issues facing society. Further, by learning ecological knowledge and developing a sense of environmental stewardship, students will have the knowledge and motivation to solve environmental problems in their communities and the world.
- Education — We provide schools with experiential learning programs that enrich education and teach students about nutrition, gardening and the environment. We provide teachers with a standards-based curriculum that allows them to easily implement hands-on learning.
- Eating — We support children to understand the importance of fruits. and vegetables and the connection between what they eat and the health of their body. We give them opportunities to grow their own food and develop a taste for a greater variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Environment — We support children to understand how the health of their bodies and the planet is linked to the way food is grown and teach them about organic gardening and environmental stewardship.
Garden To Table also impacts our communities in the following ways: